Jon: Hello! Today marks our 3rd year anniversary of developing The Arcane Relics™! Wow, already 3 years… We certainly underestimated the amount of time needed to get this game to where it is, but we’ve learned a lot and continue to surprise ourselves by what we’re able to accomplish. This past year we’ve managed to release the 1st public demo and are getting closer to the next update.
We’ve made a lot of improvements since last November. Some notables:
(Some of these images may look familiar.)
- Dalwood has grown in size
- New Zombie-infested Catacombs
- Revised magic system
- Day/night cycle improvements: moon, stars, sky colors, clouds
- Hefting unconscious characters
- AI Improvements: simple Town Guards, pathing for Villagers, & NPCs capable of opening doors
- Crossroads (yet to be revealed)
- Increased movement speeds
- Control changes: Attack buttons & sprint button change
- Revised Party setup: characters can be created right in there
- Crossroads Directional Signs: helps locating areas
- Loading screen changes: radial loading bar, target scene/location name, spinny sword icon, & more message variations
- Updated most object cursor common name displays (bottom-right)
- Sprint FOV zoom
- Texture improvements/changes (environment, items, UVs)
- Look sensitivities dropped
- NPC dialog improvements
- Scene transitions besides warp portals
- Additional skill group: Trades
- More items: Helms/Hats, Weapons, Gems, Magic Catalysts
- Few more spells & additional spell effects
- Hit lean animations & hit block animations
- Left-hand attack improvements: uses directional attacks, offhand does less damage
- More settings
- Butt-load of bug fixes 🐖💨👾
In public demo, but not present a year ago:
- Upper Town
- Additional plants: Blueberries, Strawberries, Rosemary, Sage, Parsley, Thyme
- Town buildings:
- Chicken Keeper’s house
- Botanical Shop
- No NPCs in Town (just an angry mob & bats)
- No sleep jingle
- Cursor highlighter system: used to swap materials…
This is not a complete list, either.
Another main focus of mine has been rebuilding and cleaning up old code. Since you can learn a lot in 3 years, I’ve found the need to rewrite or, at least, clean up some systems that I started near the beginning. The tricky bugs seem to crop up in the stuff you haven’t looked at in a while.
Past Week’s Progress
This last week I’ve primarily returned to the party setup, trying to improve the usability of the menus and fixing bugs with creating characters. I also improved the device query (“Waiting for input…”). Joining on a controller should be much more responsive now.
Andrew worked on making the newest buildings into prefabs & made lily pad hats and cattail props.
Unity Tip: I also discovered builtin API in Unity for capturing a screenshot!
Maybe we won’t have lots of crazy cropped screenshot resolutions in the future…
We’re still working away and are still aiming to release the next version before the end of the year. Hang in there! 😀