Jon: Hello, there! Here’s some of what we’ve accomplished this past week.
We have setup a new skybox where we can manually tweak colors throughout the day cycle. The default Unity skybox didn’t quite capture some of the colors we were aiming for.
Some results so far. (WIP)
Heftables are now setup to damage what they hit by velocity. This allows mages to whack opponents with a crate, while using Telekinesis.
We have also started experimenting with character hefting! Here’s a little preview of it:
Misc Improvements & Bug Fixes
- The game’s standard currency is now silver. Gold will be a much rarer item that is not only heavier, but worth a lot more, than standard silver coins.
- Water Cave start point has been moved out of the water.
- Loading screen now displays target scene name.
- NPCs now vocalize when detecting a pickpocket.
- The last scene you were playing in is now saved. You should no longer begin every play session in the HUB.
We are still working on that secret I mentioned a few posts back. 😀
Andrew: Hello again.
This last week, I’ve made great progress on the new area. Consequently, here it is:
This scene, you’ve been dying to see, is accessed from the Town. All the graves are new props, and this is the last area planned to be made before the first public demo. Now it’s just about polishing the areas up a bit.
Misc Bug Fixes & Improvements
- Fixed jump-roll bug. If you jump & roll in the air, the camera will no longer get stuck down lower, as if crouching.
- Cave dwellers/Ruffians in the cave, now carry light sources (such as torches).
- Newly created player characters now start with clothes… It’s about time! 😀
- You can no longer jump into other players’ select panels in the Player Setup scene, fixing bug.
- Moved spawn positions inside walls for bats in Water Cave.
- Fixed bug where hitting limbs with specific pieces of armor (with no assigned armor hit sound definition), wouldn’t make a sound. They will now play the normal material hit sounds (whether wood/metal/etc).
- Setup villagers to return to their original position, if they’re far enough from it and not occupied by a more prominent goal.
- Setup text to highlight on radio selection buttons, if selected (e.g. pause menu tabs/pages: inventory, abilities, status, etc).
- Horse now stops on scene-load/start, to prevent the immediate galloping into another portal/warp.
- Replaced old white placeholder buildings with ones that actually have textures: wooden trim corners, plaster walls, & hay roofs.
That wraps up this week. Until next time.
Jon: Hello, everyone! Lots of stuff this past week:
Over the past few months I’ve been working here and there on the revised horseback controls and finally they are at a point we can call sufficient for the 1st public demo.
- Pressing ‘forward’ causes the horse to accelerate. The horse will maintain its current speed even when ‘forward’ is released, ‘back’ slows the horse down.
- ‘left/right’ steers the horse, which is more effective at slower speeds.
- Holding ‘back’ while stationary will make the horse step backwards.
- If you attack, you will attack on the side your camera is facing relative to the horse.
Traps & Locks
Treasure chests throughout Terradim can now be locked and/or trapped!
Previously, I had setup a simple trap in the Playground scene, but have now come up with a better solution for randomizing traps/locks everywhere.
Per-Player Camera SunLight
In the Grand Arena, players that are in one of the indoor sections have the sunlight culled from their view. This has caused a couple of issues for a while, but I have finally found the solution!
I found that deactivating the sun (deactivating the sun’s GameObject) per camera was causing the sun to unassign itself from the lighting settings, so I tried disabling the Light component. When disabling the sunlight per camera, the normal light would work, but reflected light would not be correct.
The solution – for each player camera, use OnPreCull to disable the sun, sun default state must be enabled, and use OnPostRender to turn it back on. The sun seems to cull and have reflected light correctly on each player’s camera.
Misc Improvements & Bug Fixes
- Setup belt equip BlendShapes for all tunics. (They fit under the belt now.)
- Homestead paths now have some curviness to them, looking a bit more natural.
- Dirt patches have appeared in the Homestead. What could this entail?
- Doors can now be locked or unlocked by interacting with their locks.
- Crossbow improvements:
- Crossbow firing sound now in.
- Bolts use a more reliable hit detection system now. The bolts fly more predictably and face forward, unlike before, when fired.
- Dialog will now exit if the player or the chat target ragdolls, is forced too far away, or is incapacitated.
- Fixed issue with incorrect head mounting angles, especially for horses. Mount angle was always the same for people and horses.
- Setup a different cursor icon when targeting doors.