Jon: Hello! It’s been a while hasn’t it?
I have been continuing to work on cleaning up many systems and continuing to move data to external XML files. It never ends… ⚰
Anyway, here’s the details:
Reducing Physics Performance
Upon profiling the game recently, we have found that the CPU time for calculating physics has been quite a problem. Scenes with lots of objects/items such as the Town are especially troublesome. Consequently, we have decided to make some changes.
- New weapon hit detection: we are moving away from using rigidbody/triggers to a custom hit detection (Boxcasting). Collisions actually seem better after swapping to this setup! It’s easier to hit small items on a surface such as gems on a table.
- New item physics: Previously, most items were rigidbodies (using dynamic physics), but now we are using a custom system for emulating physics. I call it “cheap” physics. This is a WIP, but looks promising. There will probably be some issues with this in the next release, but it’s a step in the right direction, I think.
It’s still a bit early but maybe next month I’ll be able to divulge more details. 😀
Crests are coming along! The shader seems to be working.
- Sleep Improvements:
- Characters snort instead of playing standard hurt/attack vocalizations when asleep.
- Sleep effect, from a potion, will recover health and fatigue now too.
- Continued to move a lot of game data to external XML files. Notably, magic spells and certain color sets.
- Setup a note item to load in place of an item that fails to load, probably due to an incorrect tag/missing in item database. Displays information when read on what item tag failed to load.
- Music tracks now load in background. This should reduce hitches when a new clip is loading.
- Saved ColorData now stores float values, not bytes, allowing for HDR colors to be saved. Alpha has also been added.
Andrew has been working on loot tables (what items appear in containers and people…) & continued widening building walls.
In other news, our other game has nearly reached the point of revealing!
Until next time… and have a happy 4th of July, tomorrow! 🎆