Jon: Season’s greetings! Unfortunately, we won’t be releasing the first public demo this year. We are getting closer and hopefully it won’t be too long into the next year before we get there. Nevertheless, here’s some of what we’ve accomplished this past week:
There are now Gnome Caps! Which come in a variety of colors, not just green and red. There are also two variations, one with and one without the furry ball.
NPCs are now using a system referred to as Goal-Oriented Action Planning (GOAP). As opposed to a State Machine, where transitions must be clearly defined between all states, GOAP allows more flexibility. In GOAP, you define actions and conditions for them that the planner uses to find a most cost-effective path towards the desired goal. Since, eventually, we want to have many variations in AI behaviors, this system makes more sense. However, it takes quite a bit longer to setup.
I’ve setup some goals that NPCs will attempt to fulfill such as Arming and healing themselves. If there’s a nearby weapon, and they are unarmed, they will go grab one as shown above. Also, they will consume healing items when their health is low. In addition, NPCs can actually use ranged weapons now, although not very effectively in many cases – it’s still a WIP. Anyway, it’s coming along and definitely makes interaction with NPCs more enjoyable.
For anyone interested in how GOAP works, here are some of the sources I’ve been using to develop the system in The Arcane Relics™:
Misc Improvements & Bug Fixes
- Scene intro text (eg. Water Cave) will now tint red if the scene is considered ‘dangerous,’ where all players being incapacitated will restart the scene.
- Optimization: continued setting up more Level of Detail (LOD) meshes on equipment.
- You can no longer sprint push while crouching.
- Falling out of the map in the Grand Arena, hitting failsafe trigger, should now correctly reset the Area you are in to the underworks (no invisible walls).
- Rain should now persist between scenes.
- Weather changing console commands now happen immediately. Rain begins and stops almost instantly!