1st Public Demo Release!

Andrew: Greetings and good tidings! This week we’ve wrapped up testing and thus, our first public demo is here!

First, the trailer for the demo


You can download the demo here on indieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/the-arcane-relics/downloads.

Or, here on itch: niemi-bros.itch.io/the-arcane-relics. On itch, you are given the option to support us, by paying whatever amount you please. We also started a discussion board on itch, where you can easily provide us with feedback. We appreciate any contributions.

We didn’t get all the issues/bugs fixed that we wanted to, but, for the most part, we got the critical ones.

Now, with this release, we’re going to take a short break from daily development, a sort of limited vacation.

Enjoy the demo!


Oct. 15-21: Cleric Staff

Andrew: Greetings! This week of development, we’ve continued with polish & bug fixing/hunting. Nevertheless, we have some new additions to the game:

Cleric Staff

He’s no cleric!?

Another magic catalyst.

Coif Under Helms


This fixes hair clipping with helms.

Misc Improvements & Bug Fixes
  • Homestead Window: I finally got the window encased. It is operable, as seen in the gif below-

  • Shop Ledgers: a nice aesthetic addition to shops.

  • Texture improvements & optimizations.
  • [Fixed] Faster tree climbing (holding the sprint button) now consumes more stamina than normal climbing.
  • In the Loading Screen,  click-to-continue changes color when input is sensed.

That’s it. Have a good one!

Oct. 1-14: Dalwood Grows

Andrew: Hello! For the last two weeks-


Continuing work from the previous weeks, Dalwood has grown in size. Now there’s a transition to the forest from a scene other than the Town.

Lower right: a view towards where the old edge of forest was (by sign signifying that you will “reach the edge of the world!”). Upper left: leads to pond area at lower left.

Topdown view comparing previous forest borders with new.

Alas, currently the forest doesn’t quite have the magical feel I’d hoped for… Therefore in the next version, one of the things I want/plan to do is to overhaul/redo the trees (particularly the oak & maple), making them taller & larger (adding variations, and some unique trees & roots). This, among other things planned, might do the trick. 😉

Magical Cast FX

It’s magically delicious!

The catalysts (staffs, magic stone, etc) now emit new particles. This makes casting magic feel a whole lot better.

Misc. Improvements & Bug Fixes
  • Horses can now trample/damage characters that you run into or jump on top of. WIP.
  • Dialog improvements, adding more NPC types and more variations.
  • You can no longer talk to aggravated NPCs. Previously, villagers who had a target could be talked to (even when attacking you).
  • AI pathing improvements: for one, if a target cannot be reached on the NavMesh, a nearby position is sampled.
  • Swapped some inputs to be sensed or occur on press/down instead of release, in order to make them more responsive.
  • Started redoing/improving the tunics (including chainmail ones, reducing crunching/etc).
  • Fixed some animation issues with spell casting.
  • Added a “Remove Player” button to in-game menu/settings.
  • Loading screen visual tweaks.
  • Fixed: doors and windows no longer open/close on scene start.
  • Continuing texture improvements & optimizations.
  • Edited credits & its appearance.
  • Additional bug fixes, that we’re not telling you about. 🙂

Jon continues working on bugs. 🐜

Happy weekend everyone!

Sep. 17-30: Sabaton Sabatoge

Jon: Hello, again. These past 2 weeks I’ve managed to get quite a few bugs. Andrew had to deal with a broken computer, which means this’ll be a short one.


The smell of defeat.

Before his computer pooped out, Andrew made some Sabatons! Along with expanding Dalwood, texture improvements, and some material optimizations.

Misc. Improvements & Bug Fixes
  • Throwing weapons/projectiles now fly farther if performing a ‘power attack.’ (Held attack button)
  • Set the ‘default invert look y’ on a controller to false.
  • Setup incandescing weapon to display timer on cursor (radial bar).
  • Improvements to the Interact-Hold feature.
  • Any cause of ragdolling should now release a held heftable. Previously, only ragdoll by incapacitation would cause this.
  • Developed a system for caching mesh instances generated due to vertex color manipulation.
  • Fixed a bug where certain actions like rolling or attacking could still occur when ragdolled. This would cause your stamina to drain though no action would occur, and the animations would then suddenly play on ragdoll recover.
  • Fixed a bug where players would be stuck incapacitated, if incapacitated in a new scene after leaving the Grand Arena during a match.
  • Fixed horses always facing the same direction on start.
  • Fixed some issues with ragdolls falling into the failsafe trigger outside the map, shouldn’t get decapitated anymore… >:D
  • Unity Tip: After updating to the 2017 cycle of Unity, I noticed that performing a Teleroll would crash the game! After some forum browsing I discovered a hack to make it work again.  It seems a number of people have encountered issues with disabling an animator or deactivating the animator’s gameObject. The solution/hack that worked for me: use a coroutine that yields until the end of the current frame before the animator disable/deactivate.

Fortunately, the computer issue has been resolved and we should be able to get back to a better pace. Most of my tasks are getting down to bug fixes.

See you next month! 😀