Andrew: Greetings and good tidings! This week we’ve wrapped up testing and thus, our first public demo is here!
First, the trailer for the demo
DOWNLOAD THE DEMO
You can download the demo here on indieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/the-arcane-relics/downloads.
Or, here on itch: niemi-bros.itch.io/the-arcane-relics. On itch, you are given the option to support us, by paying whatever amount you please. We also started a discussion board on itch, where you can easily provide us with feedback. We appreciate any contributions.
We didn’t get all the issues/bugs fixed that we wanted to, but, for the most part, we got the critical ones.
Now, with this release, we’re going to take a short break from daily development, a sort of limited vacation.
Enjoy the demo!
Jon: Hello! Today marks our 3rd year anniversary of developing The Arcane Relics™! Wow, already 3 years… We certainly underestimated the amount of time needed to get this game to where it is, but we’ve learned a lot and continue to surprise ourselves by what we’re able to accomplish. This past year we’ve managed to release the 1st public demo and are getting closer to the next update.
We’ve made a lot of improvements since last November. Some notables:
(Some of these images may look familiar.)
- Dalwood has grown in size
- New Zombie-infested Catacombs
- Day/night cycle improvements: moon, stars, sky colors, clouds
- Hefting unconscious characters
- AI Improvements: simple Town Guards, pathing for Villagers, & NPCs capable of opening doors
- Crossroads (yet to be revealed)
- Increased movement speeds
- Control changes: Attack buttons & sprint button change
- Revised Party setup: characters can be created right in there
- Crossroads Directional Signs: helps locating areas
- Loading screen changes: radial loading bar, target scene/location name, spinny sword icon, & more message variations
- Updated most object cursor common name displays (bottom-right)
- Sprint FOV zoom
- Texture improvements/changes (environment, items, UVs)
- Look sensitivities dropped
- NPC dialog improvements
- Scene transitions besides warp portals
- Additional skill group: Trades
- More items: Helms/Hats, Weapons, Gems, Magic Catalysts
- Few more spells & additional spell effects
- Hit lean animations & hit block animations
- Left-hand attack improvements: uses directional attacks, offhand does less damage
- More settings
- Butt-load of bug fixes 🐖💨👾
In public demo, but not present a year ago:
- Upper Town
- Additional plants: Blueberries, Strawberries, Rosemary, Sage, Parsley, Thyme
- Town buildings:
- Chicken Keeper’s house
- Botanical Shop
- No NPCs in Town (just an angry mob & bats)
- No sleep jingle
- Cursor highlighter system: used to swap materials…
This is not a complete list, either.
Another main focus of mine has been rebuilding and cleaning up old code. Since you can learn a lot in 3 years, I’ve found the need to rewrite or, at least, clean up some systems that I started near the beginning. The tricky bugs seem to crop up in the stuff you haven’t looked at in a while.
Past Week’s Progress
This last week I’ve primarily returned to the party setup, trying to improve the usability of the menus and fixing bugs with creating characters. I also improved the device query (“Waiting for input…”). Joining on a controller should be much more responsive now.
Andrew worked on making the newest buildings into prefabs & made lily pad hats and cattail props.
Unity Tip: I also discovered builtin API in Unity for capturing a screenshot!
Maybe we won’t have lots of crazy cropped screenshot resolutions in the future…
We’re still working away and are still aiming to release the next version before the end of the year. Hang in there! 😀
Andrew: Hello again ghosts and ghouls! We have two things (hinted at for a while) to reveal this Halloween update, a new area along with a new scary enemy. Let’s get to it-
Catacombs & Zombies
You’ll find the Catacombs entrance in the Town Graveyard. Within, you’ll find a new enemy, zombies!
Misc Improvements & Bug Fixes
- NPCs now have new dialog greetings when you have low health.
- There’s now lilies and lily-pads:
- Continuing texture improvements & optimizations (which you’ll see in the game, in just over a month/two hopefully). 🙂
- Tweaked some particle & magic FX.
- Fixed bugs with GOAP replanning & NPC’s enemy sensor.
- Female equip armor & tunic improvements (fitting more properly, looking better).
- Reworked Gambesons & Robes to fit underneath armor.
On another note, we surpassed 5000 SVN commits as of this morning! And, you guessed it, Jon continues working on bugs… 🐜
Have a Happy Halloween this Tuesday!
Andrew: Greetings! This week of development, we’ve continued with polish & bug fixing/hunting. Nevertheless, we have some new additions to the game:
He’s no cleric!?
Another magic catalyst.
Coif Under Helms
This fixes hair clipping with helms.
Misc Improvements & Bug Fixes
- Homestead Window: I finally got the window encased. It is operable, as seen in the gif below-
- Shop Ledgers: a nice aesthetic addition to shops.
- Texture improvements & optimizations.
- [Fixed] Faster tree climbing (holding the sprint button) now consumes more stamina than normal climbing.
- In the Loading Screen, click-to-continue changes color when input is sensed.
That’s it. Have a good one!